Sunday 13 August 2017

Why Pussy 'Purr'?

Purr... Purr. I had a "purr...purr"...Thomas who turned during good days to Brigadier Thomas by standing tall on his heels over the intruder into his territory beside me where he sleeps against  Bully Boy Jim. Jim is such an unimaginable brute and a haughty cat who will climb the stairs and turn back with a malicious smiling stare and a wagging tale in anger at me...with the only person at whom he runs away like a scary cat being Jackie's brother, the dog in the neighborhood. Jackie's Lieutenant to Brigadier Thomas for he is all willing and coming forward to pounce on this bully boy Jim even over a closed gate, as he wished he could jump that tall and land safely....all this turned out to be  "Homeward Bound" for my little Brigadier Thomas...I miss all his purr these days.





Why does he Purr? When he Purrs?

1. He Purrs when he sleeps...and in extreme satisfaction even hugs me...
An unexpected hug

2. He Purss when he wants some food..and when he waits for his plate to be filled..and when he does not want me to disturb him amid his meal..until he can lick and show a satiated face with his tongue swirling around his cheeks and whiskers left to right and right to left...with gratitude "meownk you"...

Aren't I missing sipping the cup?

3. He Purrs to show his acceptance when I give him my hugs and I care actions...but not this one below...
How I learned to frighten little pests to both of us and chide brother Jackie from puffing up my fur?

I wanted to know what stirred the Purr sound? I felt all over him and found it was from the throbbing veins. I decided to do a little more reading and science behind this. I find people say the purr pushes or calms down the beast in him and lets him save on more energy that heals and makes him stronger. Science says the Purr heals his wounds and bones,  builds his muscles and tendons, lessens pain and swelling, and eases breathing. The Purr of a cat begins in the brain that stimulates neural oscillator messages to the laryngeal muscles which in turn causes the cat to twitch at the rate of 25 to 150 vibrations per second. This spontaneously leads the vocal chords to separate when the cat breathes in and out resulting in the production of involuntary noises and is what we hear as "Purr". I realized in the end that this is not his veins but his vocals that are rumbling.

Did you know? All cats don't Purr those that ROAR doesn't PURR.
All cats that Purr have completely ossified hyoid while the roars are bigger rumbles of magnified Purr that result due to incompletely ossified hyoid. So, what's more, is that Snow Leopard, an in-between, can do both, Roar and Purr. This is a "Purr" classification criterion in the cat species.

Do you want a Purr or a Roar??? I like my Purr.
The University of Minnesota Stroke Center states that the cat Purr helps to relieve stress and lowers blood pressure in owners more than any other pets.

Needless to say, Little Thomas working on his way to occupy the space of my mouse pad and replacing the mouse for himself makes life nothing more livable than for all the love he expresses for his mistress, no one inanimate but only himself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment